Are Roof Cleanings Tax Deductible? - Beacon

Are Roof Cleanings Tax Deductible?

Part of good home maintenance could include occasional roof cleanings by a professional company. While the cost won’t set you back like a total re-roof, professionals still charge a fee commensurate with the value you receive. The question on many customers’ minds during tax season is whether or not they can deduct the roof cleaning bill. As with all things IRS, the answer isn’t perfectly clear.

Because mold and moss growth on a roof can cause more rapid deterioration and degrades the appearance of the home, owners shouldn’t let their decision to hire a professional cleaning company hinge on the tax code. The benefits of maintaining a clean roof far outweigh any tax deductions you may or may not legitimately claim. However, you never want to leave money on the table when it isn’t required of you. If you can take a deduction, you certainly should.

Cleanings Not to Be Confused with Capital Improvement

Speaking only of your home residence, according to TurboTax, you must be careful to properly categorize the expenses of caring for and improving the property. Is the item in question a capital improvement or a repair? Improvements, such as an altogether new roof or a kitchen remodel, can be deducted after you sell the house and must contend with capital gains tax. On the other hand, common repairs or maintenance, such as a roof cleaning, don’t qualify for deduction on your personal residence. At least not now. However, if you run a business out of your home, you have some leeway.

Home Office

You already get to deduct your home office expenses, either directly or indirectly. Steven Fishman, J.D. explains that if the repair (in this case, removal of mold, moss and fungus from the roof) benefits the whole house, rather than just your business area, it is indirect. As an indirect repair, you can deduct the cost proportionally according to the percentage of the house your office occupies. So, if your office takes up 20 percent of your home, you can deduct 20 percent of the roof cleaning as a business expense. However, you would not be allowed to deduct the remaining 80 percent as a deduction on your personal income taxes.

Now, if the property in question happens to be a rental or business property, it’s a whole new story.

Business Property or Rental Home

Landlords get to deduct the costs associated with their property. Routine maintenance and cleaning expenses fall into the category of items you can deduct on your rental properties, according to Donna Fuscaldo of Houselogic.com. But what if you rent out part of your home for extra income? How about when you rent out your whole home for part of the year, such as you would as an Airbnb host? Under those conditions, the process of tax filing and deductions gets much stickier.

Do Seek Professional Tax Advice

Of course, as a roof cleaning operation, Beacon Roof & Exterior Cleaning makes no claim to offer professional tax advice. For that, we must direct you to tax services who can look at your big picture and help you file properly, especially if you own income properties or use your home for business. But we found this information as a guideline to consider and want to pass it along to our clients.

While we’re happy to report what we learned about the tax filing year 2017, bear in mind that Congress recently remodeled the tax code. The new changes take place for the filing year of 2018.

Apply Your Tax Refund to a Beautiful Clean Roof This Year

Sometimes, getting your roof cleaned takes a back burner in your busy life. You know it needs it, and you shouldn’t put it off. The sooner you make it a priority, the sooner you relieve your roof of unsightly debris and biological growths that find a cozy home above your head. If you plan to put your house on the market this spring, you can’t afford to wait any longer. A dirty roof sends lookers packing, but a sparkly clean one brings them in. If you’re receiving a tax refund this year, why not budget it towards a roof cleaning by Beacon Roof & Exterior Cleaning?

Share

Related Posts